Monday, November 19, 2007

Day Five Maui Kite Report

Everyday is family day, but for the bros out there, surfing has seem to taken precedence with five days surfing and two days kite boarding thus far.. The day began at dawn ( That's 11:15 AM for us east coasters ) with a drive to Honolua Bay. And some 4.5 waves that's (10-14 foot faces for us east coasters) that not quite as clean as you come to expect here but still way fun.
After that it was time for some chaos at the aquarium. That's what you call my kids and some of their cousins running around at the Maui Ocean Center. We brought along Teena's mom and niece, Kiana and met up with the Deans there after their Atlantis Submarine ride. We ended up buying a week pass so that we could go back with the kids at a later time.
With some wind coming through the valley and the swell building I was sure today would have been the first day I got to ride Lanes but at last not enough wind on that side just enough to mess up the surf.
When we got back to the hotel I saw a kiter doing a down winder and catching some of the waist to chest high lines that were rolling in in front of the hotel.
Turns out that the local favorite sport to ride here is in between our resort and the next.. Above are some kiting shot taken by Teena from the pool as I kite in front of the hotel. The surf break is called Rainbows and one of these days I'll make it up wind to S-turns which looks good too. All the local rider






No comments: